Friday, January 1, 2016

2016 Reflections and Plans for 2016

2016 Reflections and Plans

Last year was one that I’m mostly glad is past. My brother had a stroke at 55 years old, my nephew has a stroke and heart valve replacement surgery at 40 and my mom died. 

It hasn’t all been bad, as my children both graduated from college and got great jobs in Kansas City so they are close, I celebrated 9 years of sobriety, lost about 50 pounds (put a few back on) and celebrated at the marriage of my niece Allison. My mom wouldn’t want me whining, so I’m going back to the glass being half FULL!

Recent rains/floods shouldn’t any effect on our lawns (unless you are in the flood areas of course). The warm weather and lack of snow gives us the opportunity to do the following:
*Take a soil test (1” cubes about 4-5” deep from 15-20 spots in the lawn). Mix together and bring it to me or the Botanical Gardens or mail off to the Extension Service at University of Missouri. Fixing the pH or nutrient needs is best done over the winter months.
*Blow or rake up leaves to prevent “pockets” of dead grass where weeds are sure to grow soon.
*If it’s above 45 degrees you can spray Turflon Ester on any weeds you see. Chick weed, Henbit and dandelions are out in my neighborhood.
*Make sure your lawn mower is “winterized” so it’s ready to go in couple of months (or weeks)?
*You can still apply fall fertilizer if you haven’t done so.

Staying positive, working with others and staying physically fit are my main goals in 2016. I’ll hope this finds you in a positive state of mind and gives you some ideas to share with your loved ones. I say a quote the other day in a newspaper that went like this…”choose words that make you smart”. I liked that and will work on that as well!

Remember folks, it’s just grass…

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it amazing what flowers can do when your world is spinning around like that. I lost my father, cousin, and sister in the same year to cancer. I started a flower garden to keep my mind off the negativity. I have a little stone chair I sit in now right in the middle of the garden that is like my escape from the world.

    Kristina Cobb @ Dennys Lawn

    ReplyDelete